Thursday, April 23, 2009

Toward New Media Texts

As I am about to embark on a new career, I already feel inadequacies relating to technology and its use in the classroom. After reading this article, I realized that there are many ranging platforms for the use of technology in the classroom. Initially, I would've related technology to teaching math and science, however it seems that taking advantage of technological aids for the advancement of reading and writing is also a valuable classroom skill.

The use of video editing programs, such as imovie and movie maker, may allow the student to feel at ease in telling a story or expressing themselves in an abstract manner. There also photo applications, such as photoshop, that allows student to create or manipulate photos in order to tell a story, or augment a written story. These types of creations may assist the teacher in evaluating the comprehension and internalization of the written, or spoken word.

While the programs listed in this article are dated, especially considering the rapid rate of technological advances, I recognize the importance of being proactive in engaging familiar programs into the classroom. The activities that accompany article may be used to serve as a foundation for technological incorporation, and should be used whenever able.

No comments:

Post a Comment