Tuesday, March 3, 2009

SmartBoard/Promethean Technology

Presentations...That is the only time that I have used a SmartBoard. Even then, all I did was click the mouse to go to the next slide of my PowerPoint. I have seen other applications being used by professors, but I have not played with the technology myself. I did have the opportunity to sit in on a mini training session of Promethean technology. We were able to see the ways this technology can be used, but not really the opportunity to touch and feel. Before the mini training session, I took the training that is available on their website, but you don't get the whole effect.

Every school that I have had the opportunity to visit has some type of technology like the Promethean or SmartBoard, but I have rarely seen it used. Just yesterday, a teacher at South Forrest showed me some applications that can be used in Math. The students are studying polygons and touching on how to measure angles. She showed me how to pull up a protractor and measure angles of any polygon using a shape tool. Unfortunately, the school did not provide training for new teachers, therefore, she really did not know how to use the technology and the students missed out. Other teachers that I have seen using Promethean or SmartBoard only use it to PowerPoint students to death. This technology could be a great tool for schools, but you have to start by training teachers how to use the technology.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you made PowerPoint into a verb. It sounds vicious.

    ReplyDelete