Growing up, I remember tests, tests and more tests. I don't remember any grand conversations, critical thinking, or discussion with teachers. I wonder if the ongoing assessments were inconspicuous or not administered at all. How did the teachers know we were learning? By the time we took a test, it was too late for the teacher to re-evaluate our understanding due to time. Students don't always have to know that we are assessing their understanding, but I do think they should know that the possibility is out there. To keep them on their toes per se.
Before entering this program, I thought of assessment as a test. Now I have come to the realization that a test is only one small form of assessment. The most intriguing and interesting form of assessment I found in this chapter is portfolio assessment. If a student is taught how to put together a portfolio, this can be one of the most valid and reliable forms of assessment, in my opinion. Portfolio's have a wide range of possibilities that allows the student to become part of their own evaluation. One of our goals as educators should be that students become self-educators and I believe this a great way to accomplish that goal. Plus, portfolios beat the mundane lecture time and provide motivation for the student.
Although we do not like to think about teaching to the test, it will become an important part our career. I don't think we should drill children on questions that may be a part of the test, but we must find motivating experiences that will prepare the children for these critical assessments. The problem that I see with these assessments it that not all students are "good test takers." My question is, how do we prepare these students for the process of taking a test. We as teachers may know their potential and knowledge, yet the state will never see their knowledge if we do not prepare them. I definitely see pros and cons of standardized testing. I am just afraid of the consequences if we can not meet the adequate yearly progress.
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you regarding portfolio assessment. In my chapter 4 posting, I talked about a past portfolio assessment which took the course of 4 years. My AP English teacher required us to keep portfolios of our work. She kept them from year to year. Nearing time for graduation, she gave them back. We were allowed to see the improvements of our writing.
That was a very memorable experience for me! I still have them at home.
As regards to state tests/standardized tests, I think that too many teachers "teach" it and leave all the other out. I remember my little boy coming home from school one day, crying and saying that the teachers told him that if they didn't pass the MCT, they would fail. He was in second grade. I have to tell you this made me angry. As a parent, I couldn't see why making these children terrified seemed ok. If that makes sense. I do think that teachers should prepare their students for what's to come, but not to the means of scaring them to death.
I also agree with the portfolio assessment comments you two are making. I can remember creating one online for a Masters class; there is something about being allowed to choose my best work (and knowing beforehand that I would be doing that) that motivated me during the process and made me more excited about the product. I think that can translate to the elementary setting.
ReplyDeleteI too agree with the portfolio assessments. This is a wonderful way to track the students progress and allow them to see how they are doing. It could be a very useful tool for motivating students to want to do better. Also, if a principal or parent wanted to see how the student was doing you have a record you can show them.
ReplyDeleteAmanda, my school experience was similar to yours. Teachers fed us the information and we either got it or we didn't. I hate to think ill of my past educators, but this is a lazy, teacher-centered way of teaching. My school experience was permeated with the idea that the teachers had all of the information and if we didn't do well on the test, then it was certainly a fault of the students and not the teacher. I wish that we had spent more time doing projects and having meaningful conversations; I think I would have been a different type of learner upon entering university if we had.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with your thoughts on portfolios. I think they are a very authentic way to assess students and are much more meaningful than grades. A file representing a students work can tell you so much more than A, B, C, D, or F.